In this article I am going to talk about a small hack to control our monkey minds. It’s meditation.
Meditation is a technique to improve our breathing which in-turn helps us control our mind. A controlled mind means better focus.
Our breath is like the string that controls our mind (the kite). We need to learn the technique of breathing consciously.
Fun Fact: Did you know about 90% of our body toxins are released through our mouth?
Getting better at meditation would help:
- Improve focus (The present moment is vast and deep. Meditation allows us to realise it)
- Remain calm and composed (Not too happy when things go right, not too sad when things go wrong)
- Remain in the present (Moving the mind between the past and future is what causes stress)
- Improve our quality of happiness. Smoking, Drinking etc. are all temporary bouts of happiness and hence not of high quality. Meditation will help you stay happier for longer durations.
- Allow room for imperfection. Create that small dustbin space in your mind where you can dump all negative thoughts and wrong doings.
- Accept people and situations how they are. We can’t change them.
No one ever got harmed by doing a lot of meditation. The more you do it the more you gain.
From my personal practice of meditation I have realized that when my eyes are closed, sitting in a comfortable position, as I focus on my breathing, my practice throws up challenges to me.
I would get distracted by some thought. I label it and move on.
I would get tired and want to give up. I try to go a bit longer.
I think these are lessons that the practice teaches you. I try to learn these lessons well and implement them in real life.
I thinks that completes the circle of meditation.
Doing it. Taking lessons. Learning. Implementing them in real life.
Through meditation we can achieve:
- A disease free body
- Quiver free breath
- Stress free mind
- Inhibition free intellect
- Trauma free memory
- Exclusion free ego
- Sorrow free soul
Until next time :-)